Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Grocery Savings … I lurrrrrve it!

I have a love-hate relationship with grocery shopping which goes back forever. I love sniffing out a good grocery bargain and stockpiling, I love the colours and layout of the grocery store (yep I must be their ideal consumer!) and I love picking up items and reading the packaging. BUT I hate the time that it takes pushing that wonky-wheeled heap of metal up and down each aisle, I hate the forced polite conversation with people you feel obliged to stop and talk to (yes, you know who you are!) and I super-hate trudging the bags from the car into the house and then unpacking the damn things. Now that I have a 5 month old baby who hates everything about grocery shopping, the thought of it really sucks.
I live only an hour and a bit away from the capital city of my state and yet cannot receive mobile service in the house or ADSL broadband. Home delivered groceries??? Yerrrrrright ….. What??? Yes???? You sure??????? You are???? Wahooooooooooo! Bingo! And yes, I am amazed by simple things.

By coming up with a fortnightly meal plan, and ordering the fortnightly groceries on line last fortnight I think I saved a bomb. I know that I saved a hell of a lot of time, but also the bill seemed quite small – aha moment – there was no impulse buying – Eureka!!
Here are the 5 things that I loved most about grocery shopping online. In no particular order they are ….

  1. no getting stuck for hours talking to Mrs So-and-So!
  2. the ability to compare all products for value with price per 100g details listed for every item
  3. the delivery bloke carried every bag to my front door – bless him!
  4. it was like Christmas discovering all that I had ordered!
  5. no impulse buying = big, big savings!
I’m in the middle of now doing my second order and it will be interesting to see over a period of time what savings can be made by shopping this way. Although only one of the major 2 retailers deliver to my area currently I do know that an online service is offered by both. If you are at all prone to impulse buying it may be worth checking out whether or not they’ll bring the groceries to your door too!

0 comments:

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2008